Congratulations to the Oak Grove Otter Singers in making the cut for the 2014 Pieces of Gold Program! Schools all over Wake County vie for a few spots in the prestigious program.
Please call our front office to RSVP for a guided school tour. The following dates are available:
December 10th at 10:00 am
January 7th at 10:00 am
January 21st at 10:00 am
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Our exciting Scholastic Book Fair theme – Reading Oasis: A Cool Place to Discover Hot Books will be a journey back to Ancient Egypt overflowing with hundreds of book treasures just waiting to be discovered. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair.
Students will be able to preview and purchase books during school hours from December 2nd to December 11th. Check the flyer that came home with your child for their class preview and buying times. We also have two family events planned where you can shop with your child.
Wednesday, December 4th
Crafts, Food and Fun
5:30 – 8:00pm
Tuesday, December 10th
5:00 – 7:00pm
OGES Chorus Performance
If you can’t join us at this year’s OGES Book Fair consider purchasing books at the OGES Online Book Fair running from November 25th to December 13th. All books ordered online will be shipped free to the school for pickup and proceeds benefit the school.
Please consider volunteering at this year’s book fair, we need your help to make this our most historic Book Fair ever. Volunteers are needed to set up and take down the book fair, provide goodies for our Teacher’s Preview Evening, and to work as cashiers during the fair. If you can spare an hour or more please consider signing up at;
We hope you will share your talents and join us as we help students discover the power of reading.
What is it?
The Oak Grove staff has collected information about needs and wants of families within our own school community. Their wishes are listed on tags on the Holly Jolly tree in the front lobby.
How Can I Help?
1. Please take several tags to donate toys, household items, books, or clothing. Return the desired items (unwrapped) to Oak Grove by December 10th.
2. If you are able to volunteer some of your time to sort and bag donated gifts, please sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F44AFA62FA20-oges
3. Donate new, unopened rolls of wrapping paper to the collection box in the lobby.
Oak Grove Elementary has great teachers! Please read below the updates to help you prepare for 2014-2015 Student Assignment/Registration!
- We will be sending out 2013-2014 assignment strips with current students the first of December. This will tell parents where their students are slated to attend for the next school year.
- Rising Kindergartners without siblings already at OGES can be registered for the 2013-2014 school year starting on January 13th. We are asking Track 1 and 3 parents that will be registering an additional child to OGES for Kindergarten to come on Wednesday, December 4th. Track 2 and 4 parents can come register on Wednesday, December 11th. This helps stagger the amount of students to register per day.
- When enrolling a Kindergartner, the parent needs to bring a certified birth certificate (no mother’s copies), proof of residence (current electric, water, or gas bill in parent’s name), photo ID of parent, and an immunization record. Children must be 5 years old on or before August 31st to register for Kindergarten for the following school year.
PLEASE PRINT AND COMPLETE THE (10 total ) FORMS BELOW AND BRING THEM WITH YOU TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD!
Please click here to view the latest news from the Principal’s desk!
Click the link below to find out about more about our SCIENCE FAIR 2013!
To: 3rd Grade Parents
From: Karen Jordan-Jarrett/AIG Teacher
on one of the following dates:
Thursday, November 7th @ 8:30am in Room 120
Thursday, November 21st @4:30pm in Room 120
Presentation: 15-20 minutes
Questions/Answers: 10-15 minutes
In honor of this occasion and in order to encourage positive behavior and character throughout our school we will hold a week of bullying prevention/kindness activities. Beginning on Monday, October 14th (tracks 1 and 3) and on Oct. 21 (tracks 2 and 4) students will learn about bullying prevention strategies and will also participate in kindness activities. Please ask your child to share with you more information about designing a Kindess Wave/Bullying Prevention T-Shirt and about our daily activities.
We are having a KINDNESS CONTEST that you can also help with! Staff and students may earn tickets by displaying random acts of kindness. Teachers give these out to students in their class or another class. Staff members can give tickets to other staff members who display an act of kindness. Tickets are collected daily and stapled in loops to form a kindness chain. We hope the chain links the end of the fifth grade hall down to the first Kindergarten classroom on the main hall!
If you would like to recognize a staff member for their kindness, please print off the attachment below, fill out a ticket and send the Kindness Ticket in with your child. Help us reach our goal of accomplishing 1,000 Acts of Kindness in two weeks!
Click here for kindness tickets!
We nominate Mackenzie Sizemore for our Spotlight Student. Mackenzie is brave, positive, and works hard! She is always open to trying any new strategies that could improve her learning! She is kind to others and has a great sense of humor! Her perseverance, courage and optimism make her a wonderful example to her peers. We are so blessed that Mackenzie is part of our Oak Grove family!
Try our slideshow maker at Animoto.
Report Cards will go home tomorrow for Tracks 1,2 and 3. Click here for more information and a description of what they will look like!
Report card schedule
Friday, October 11
(Tracks 1, 2, 3)
Friday, October 25 Friday, November 1st
Bright Star Theatre will be returning to Oak Grove for the first of two anti-bullying performance dates next Wednesday, Oct. 16 This first event will be for Tracks 1 and 3. The times are as follows: grades K-2 @ 9:30 and grades 3-5 @ 10:30.
Bella Under the Bullying Bigtop: Under the bigtop, things are not going well. A new performer would rather spend his time bullying the performers than building friendships. Ringmaster Bella works with the audience to come up with a number of anti-bullying tools to help teach the importance of teamwork, compassion, and respect. This festive show includes original songs, dances and circus-themed interactions.
Tracks 2 and 4 will be invited to see the performance on Monday, Oct. 28 (same times).
Please see our 2013-2014 Testing Calendar by clicking here!
Our goal for the 2013-2014 Spelling Bee is for students to have fun while becoming better spellers!
The dates listed below are the guidelines for this year.
- November/December- Conduct Classroom Spelling Bees
- December 20th- Classroom winners’ names turned in to Mrs. Johnson
- January 24th- Oak Grove’s Spelling Bee (*One winner will be named champion from our school.)
- March 15 – Regional Spelling Bee
Please check out the wiki below to find out more information and obtain the spelling pattern lists for each grade level.